Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sewing: Coin Quilt

I have two uni assignments to write, for different subjects, but both are based on a personal reflection. Needless to say, I am putting it off. Which is why this took me just over a week to complete. Procrastination at it's finest.

Sarah and I picked up the fat quarters for only $1 each in Spotlight's March sale. Who can resist a $1 fat quarter? Not us, obviously!

I cut the coins in varying sizes, they were a combination of 3", 2.5" and 2". The little grey strips in between were only 1". These measurements include the 1/4" seam allowance.

The next night I sewed the stack together. It didn't take long as the quilt is more of just a lounge blanket.


With that complete, we just needed to go back and find some backing fabric. Cue the gnomes. The lady who was cutting the fabric chuckled. I'm not sure if it's because she thought the gnomes were cool, or if she thought I wasn't able to properly see what I was buying. I'm going to go with cool.


The majority of Friday night was spent sewing those lines into the quilt. So tedious. And of course I ran out of thread with 20cm to go, so I used some other thread to finish it off.

Time for the binding, which by this stage, I should have called it a night. But instead I ploughed on through and did a dodgy job. A non quilter wouldn't know, so I don't care. Oh and of course, the bobbin ran out with about 3cm to go.

So, from original purchase to completed quilt = 8 days.

Please don't think that's a common occurrence around here, I'm still trying to finish the one I started about 5 years ago.

Now I guess I better start on those assignments...

No comments:

Post a Comment